c
x
x
e
Linking the East

BackDoor

CUYAHOGA VALLEY & WEST SHORE
MODEL RAILROAD CLUB


 
 

About Us - History


- Olmsted Falls L.S. & M.S. Depot -

The Lakeshore and Michigan Southern Railroad built the Olmsted Falls Depot in 1876 as a part of major improvements made along the line between Cleveland and Toledo. The depot replaced a smaller flag stop station in Olmsted Falls at the Columbia Road railroad crossing.

By 1909, the depot was moved from Mapleway Drive on rollers by a locomotive to this site to be closer to the heart of the village.

In the early 20th century, ten trains a day stopped here. One was the "Plug," which took commuters between Olmsted Falls and Cleveland. By mid-century, cars and planes had largely replaced train travel. The New York Central Railroad, successor to the LM&MS, used the station until the early 1950's, closing it after passenger service to Olmsted Falls ended.

The last regularly scheduled train stopped here in 1949 and service ended completely in 1960.

- Our Station -

N

 

- Our Club -

The Cuyahoga Valley & West Shore (CV&WS) Model Railroad Club was formed in 1972 by a handful of model railroaders from the west side of Cleveland and its suburbs.

It started its first HO scale layout in the basement of what was then known as the Westlake Hotel in Rocky River.

On April 1, 1977 our club leased the station from Conrail, which was formed to restructure the bankrupt northeastern railroads, which included Penn Central, an ill-fated merger of the New York Central and Pennsylvania railroads..

Restoration of the building and property began immediately, and the construction of an HO scale model railroad layout in the baggage room soon followed.

In 1996 the club was able to act upon the opportunity to purchase the building and property from Conrail. In the year 2000, the building was added to the National Register of Historical Places, insuring that it will be preserved for years to come as a part of historic Olmsted Falls.


Over the years the club has been able to build exhibits in N scale and Lionel 3 Rail as well as HO scale.

It has added a caboose and a number of other large railroad artifacts to its outdoor collection and displays a large collection of pictures, maps and other railroad artifacts inside the building.

Today the 50 member club enjoys a great location next to the busy Norfolk Southern Railroad mainline between the east coast and Chicago, witnessing 50 or more trains a day, many being pulled by locomotives from other railroads.

The famous New York Central 20th Century Limited, passed this depot traveling at high speed from New York City to Chicago in 16 hours!

plaque

i440 i441
i436 i437
ohio1 ohio2